More about Transportation in Dare County Schools
With 60 school and activity buses to maintain, and to create routes to accommodate approximately 2,000 student riders each day, Dare County Schools Transportation staff are busy.
In 2018, North Carolina's Pupil Transportation Association recognized Dare County Schools Transportation Department for earning the best bus inspection rating in one of three regions statewide. For over a decade, Dare County's ranking has been among the top three in the Northeast Region.
Interested in Driving a Bus? Dare County Schools is Hiring Qualified Bus Drivers!
Activity bus drivers are paid $17.01/hour and are responsible for transporting sports teams to locations through out Eastern NC. Activity bus drivers can drive school buses also. Exceptional children bus monitors are paid $15/hr.
Learn to Drive a School Bus
DCS Bus Class is held virtually twice a month and in-person classes as needed.
Dare County Schools Recognized for Top Inspection Rating from Department of Transportation
- Bus Request -- Elementary School
- Bus Request -- (Spanish)
- Bus Request -- Middle and High School
- Permission to Ride the Bus with a 4th Grader or Older or Sibling
- Permission to Ride the Bus with a 4th Grader or Older or Sibling (Spanish)
- Information for Parents
- Information for Teachers
- Information for Bus Drivers
- Frequently Asked Questions
- North Carolina Laws and Policies
- North Carolina Bus Safety
- Video: School Bus Safety