The mission of School Nutrition Services is to provide a nutritionally adequate, moderately priced breakfast and lunch in every Dare County School. We believe that when our students have access to healthy foods, they are better learners and become happy children.
School Nutrition Director
(252) 480-8888 extension: 1921
Electronic Free or Reduced Lunch Application
If you would like to complete a paper version of the Free and Reduced Meal Application, please click one of the links below or contact your child's school to request a copy.
Prepay for School Meals Online
Through K12paymentcenter.com, parents can:
- Make meal payments on the Internet using their credit or debit card
- Check meal account balances
- Get low balance alerts by email
- See what item their student purchases
To set up an account, you will need each child’s student number. The number is typically found on report cards to the right of the student’s name. Transactions may take 24 to 48 hours to post. If you need assistance with a student number or have questions, contact school nutrition at (252) 480-8888.
Cafeteria substitutes are needed - Apply Today!
To apply, visit the Dare County Schools Job Board. Hours and locations vary daily. Starting pay is $15/hour. The work schedules are family friendly. Working as a substitute may lead to part-time regular daily employment at a higher rate of pay. Apply now to pursue these opportunities! Contact Kelleta Govan 252-480-8888 x 1921 if you have questions.
School Nutrition News: Culinary Institute
North Carolina K-12 Culinary Institute Graduates become Chef Ambassadors
Dare County schools hosted NC K-12 Culinary Institute this summer 2023. Over 20 participants for across North Carolina attend. Four school nutrition team members from Dare County Schools graduated from the K-12 Culinary Institute. The workshop increases the availability of fresh, appealing, nutritious meals at school. Planned instructional segments included topics such as knife skills, weighing and measuring accurately, preparing foods for just-in-time service, work simplification and scheduling, effective use of equipment, and quality food preparation and service for a variety of meats, grains, fruits, vegetables, and condiments. Participants went back to the school cafeterias with small wares, kitchen tools, chef’s hats and aprons. North Carolina K-12 Culinary Institute graduates become chef ambassadors and culinary specialists. These ambassadors are prepared to teach other school nutrition professionals within Dare County Schools.
The Chef Ambassadors are:
- Lindsay Bailey, Manteo Elementary School
- Cheryl Black, Nags Head Elementary School
- Patty Culb, First Flight Elementary School
- Lauri Westphal, Manteo High School.
Some of the recipes developed by the K-12 Culinary Institute will be featured on the school lunch menus.
- USDA Nondiscrimination Statement
- Pre-pay for your child's meal and monitor their selections online!
- Information on K12 Payment Center
- Pandemic EBT Benefits Overview
- Pandemic EBT FAQ
- Pandemic EBT Informational Flyer (English) (Spanish)
- Triennial Assessment Report (6/2022)
- SNA-NC Culinary/Creative Arts Competition