Register for School
Make plans to have your child's immunizations up to date and a current health assessment before he or she begins kindergarten. Although not required at time of registration, please bring if available; and keep in mind that an updated immunization record is required before your child begins school.
Obtain information about health assessment here. Health assessment forms are at Dare County elementary schools, area doctors' offices, the Dare County Department of Public Health.
Registration Process Explained
Begin by going to the school (contact info below)that your child will attend where you will complete a Registration Affidavit. Newcomers and those who have moved to a new school attendance area in Dare County should bring the following items when registering a child:
- A certified copy of the student's birth certificate.
- Proof of residence of parent(s) (or court-appointed guardian) include driver's licenses with current address, voter registration card, or NC DMV ID. For questions relating to guardianship, please speak with the school principal.
- If arriving from another school system, a copy of the child's latest report card (elementary and middle school) or transcript(high school) and the previous year's achievement test results are helpful.
- If bringing the child's records is a problem, the new school will contact the child's previous school and request the records.
- Please call the school to make an appointment to register your child. While not required, calling ahead can save you a lot of time! (Schools are open Monday through Thursday in the summer.)
Attendance areas within the Dare County Administrative Unit as established by the Board:
North beach elementary schools map, click here
First Flight Elementary School -- Area between Ocean Bay Boulevard and Airstrip Road
Kitty Hawk Elementary School -- Area north of Cameron Street
Nags Head Elementary School -- All of the Town of Nags Head and the following areas in Kill Devil Hills: from Cameron Street south to Ocean Bay Boulevard and from Airstrip Road/Calvin Street south to 8th street
Manteo Elementary School -- Roanoke Island and Dare County Mainland
Cape Hatteras Elementary School -- All areas South of the Oregon Inlet Bridge
Manteo Middle School/Manteo High School - All areas of Roanoke Island, Dare County Mainland and the Town of Nags Head
First Flight Middle School/First Flight High School -- All areas north of Nags Head/Kill Devil Hills Town Line
Cape Hatteras Secondary School -- All areas South of the Oregon Inlet Bridge
|Cape Hatteras Secondary School||Beth Rooks||(252) 955-5730|
|Cape Hatteras Elementary School||Sherry Couch||(252) 995-6196|
|Dare County Alternative School||L'Tanya Murray||(252) 473-3141|
|First Flight High School||Tim Albert||(252) 449-7000|
|First Flight Middle School||Diane Childress||(252) 441-8888|
|First Flight Elementary School||Drew Sawyer||(252) 441-1111|
|Kitty Hawk Elementary School||Greg Florence||(252) 261-2313|
|Manteo High School||John Luciano||(252) 473-5841|
|Manteo Middle School||Michael Sasscer||(252) 473-5549|
|Manteo Elementary School||Steve Blackstock||(252) 473-2742|
|Nags Head Elementary School||Adrienne Palma||(252) 480-8880|