Dare County's preschool program is a blended NC Pre-K and Title I funded program. The program serves over 150 students annually in six classrooms at four elementary schools (Cape Hatteras Elementary, First Flight Elementary, Manteo Elementary, and Nags Head Elementary). The program emphasizes kindergarten readiness skills and provides our youngest students with a rich learning environment.
Quality preschool opportunities benefit communities by decreasing retentions and dropouts, and by improving overall student achievement.
To be eligible for this program, students must be:
4 years old by August 31, 2019
a resident of Dare County
eligibility is determined by parent's income level and other risk factors
- Step One: Complete the Paper Application and Gather Necessary Documents
- Step Two: Submit Application and All Documents
- Step Three: Attend the Developmental Screening Appointment
All documents are required and must be attached in order for your child’s application to be processed. Please complete the application by May 31, 2019.
Required Documents to Accompany the Application:
- Copy of Child’s Birth Certificate- Child must be four years old by August 31, 2019.
- Documentation of Dare County Residency – Copy of driver’s license, signed lease or current utility bill (water/power). If parent’s name is not on bill/lease – bill and letter from the bill payee stating that family is residing at the residence is needed.
- All sources of family income. Please Include:
- Copies of complete 2018 tax return with copies of W-2s and all schedules for each parent/guardian
- Two (2) recent, consecutive check stubs for each employed parent/guardian. AND
- Documentation of child support, retirement compensation, worker’s compensation, unemployment/social security benefits, or public assistance if applicable.
Additional Documents Required (If Applicable)
- Copy of child’s current Individualized Education Program (IEP)
- Documentation of parent’s military service
- Documentation from child’s medical provider regarding any chronic Illness.
- Documentation of guardianship/child custody if applicable.
- A developmental screening is part of the application process and will be scheduled for your child between the dates of June 3-12, 2019. You will be notified to schedule an appointment.