Dare County's preschool program is a blended NC Pre-K and Title I funded program. The program serves over 150 students annually in six classrooms at four elementary schools (Cape Hatteras Elementary, First Flight Elementary, Manteo Elementary, and Nags Head Elementary). The program emphasizes kindergarten readiness skills and provides our youngest students with a rich learning environment.
Quality preschool opportunities benefit communities by decreasing retention and dropouts, and by improving overall student achievement.
The program is guided by an Advisory Committee comprised of representatives of Dare County Schools, Children and Youth Partnership, local licensed child care centers, parents of preschool-age child(ren), child care resource and referral agency or other child-serving agency representative, Department of Social Services, and Dare County Schools' exceptional children's program.
Annual meetings are held to review contract revisions/updates based on changes to NC Pre-K, develop and approve operational policies and procedures, promote collaboration and shared responsibility between and among agencies serving young children, and provide oversight for the program.
The annual meeting for reviewing the 2019 contract and policies will be held on MAY 16, 2019 at 3 p.m. in the Nags Head Elementary School Media Center. This meeting is open to the public.
To be eligible for this program, students must be:
4 years old by August 31, 2019
a resident of Dare County
eligibility is determined by parent's income level and other risk factors
- Step One: Complete the Paper Application and Gather Necessary Documents
- Step Two: Submit Application and All Documents
- Step Three: Attend the Developmental Screening Appointment
All documents are required and must be attached in order for your child’s application to be processed. Please complete the application by May 31, 2019.
Required Documents to Accompany the Application:
- Copy of Child’s Birth Certificate- Child must be four years old by August 31, 2019.
- Documentation of Dare County Residency – Copy of driver’s license, signed lease or current utility bill (water/power). If parent’s name is not on bill/lease – bill and letter from the bill payee stating that family is residing at the residence is needed.
- All sources of family income. Please Include:
- Copies of complete 2018 tax return with copies of W-2s and all schedules for each parent/guardian
- Two (2) recent, consecutive check stubs for each employed parent/guardian. AND
- Documentation of child support, retirement compensation, worker’s compensation, unemployment/social security benefits, or public assistance if applicable.
Additional Documents Required (If Applicable)
- Copy of child’s current Individualized Education Program (IEP)
- Documentation of parent’s military service
- Documentation from child’s medical provider regarding any chronic Illness.
- Documentation of guardianship/child custody if applicable.
- A developmental screening is part of the application process and will be scheduled for your child between the dates of June 3-12, 2019. You will be notified to schedule an appointment.