DEF Executive Director
About the Foundation
The Dare Education Foundation (DEF) is seeking applications for a new Executive Director. Local philanthropists created DEF with the mission of supporting the educational goals of the public school system in Dare County. The Foundation's vision is to promote the best education possible for every student in every school in Dare County Schools. To achieve this vision, DEF partners with the community and raises funds from private donations large and small, grants, sponsorships, and special events. DEF's collaborative efforts encourage community involvement in education and provide a solid foundation for a vibrant quality of life in Dare County.
Executive Director Job Description
The Executive Director will have overall strategic and operational responsibility for the Dare Education Foundation’s (DEF) programs, expansion, and execution of its mission. The Executive Director will report to the Board of Directors and will have significant autonomy and responsibility for DEF’s success.
Leadership and Management:
- Ensure ongoing excellence, including through: successful fundraising, effective communications, accurate systems, establishing timelines, identifying resources needed, and working with Dare County Schools (DCS), to achieve DEF’s strategic goals.
- Actively engage and energize DEF volunteers, Board members, event committees, alumni, partnering organizations, and funders.
- Maintain and support a strong Board of Directors; serve as ex-officio of each committee; seek and build Board involvement with strategic direction for ongoing operations.
- Ensure effective systems to track progress (including financial systems via Quickbooks), and regularly evaluate projects, so as to measure successes that can be communicated to the Board, funders, and other constituents.
- Partner with DCS to ensure the success of DEF’s two teacher housing units.
Fundraising and Communications:
- Expand revenue generating and fundraising activities to support existing operations and expansion.
- Deepen and refine all aspects of communications—from web presence to external relations with the goal of creating a stronger brand.
- Use external presence and relationships to garner new opportunities.
Planning and New Business:
- Build partnerships in the local community, establishing relationships with funders, political and community leaders, and Dare County Schools’ stakeholders.
- Be an external local and state presence that publishes and communicates program results with an emphasis on the successes of the local program as a model for regional replication.
Specific requirements include:
- Advanced degree, ideally an MBA, with at least 3-5 years of senior management experience; track record of effectively leading an outcomes-based organization and staff; ability to point to specific examples of having developed and implemented strategies that have taken an organization to the next stage of growth.
- Unwavering commitment to quality programs and data-driven program evaluation.
- Strong accounting skills, and accountability for financial success of all projects and fundraisers.
- An ability to meet all specific financial goals set forth by the Board.
- Excellence in organizational management, with the ability to coach, manage, and develop high-performance teams, set and achieve strategic objectives, and manage a budget, utilizing Quickbooks or similar accounting programs.
- Preferred past success working with a Board of Directors, with the ability to cultivate existing board member relationships.
- Strong marketing, public relations, and fundraising experience with the ability to engage a wide range of stakeholders and cultures.
- Strong written and verbal communication skills; a persuasive and passionate communicator with excellent interpersonal and multidisciplinary project skills.
- Action-oriented, entrepreneurial, adaptable, and innovative approach to business planning.
- Ability to work effectively in collaboration with diverse groups of people.
- Passion, idealism, integrity, positive attitude, mission-driven, and self-directed.